There’s no doubt about it, in business first impressions are a huge part of your business’s potential for success – wondering what makes them so vital? Read on for 15 reasons why first impressions count for your business and how to ensure you always make a good one.
1. Professionalism: When it comes to business success, creating a business with a professional look and feel is vital. Obviously, a business that is not looked after does not create this look and feel.
2. Word of mouth: Word spreads quickly regarding businesses, which is why making a good first impression is crucial. Particularly as word of mouth marketing can be the very best form of marketing for smaller businesses.
3. Demonstrates competence: You can demonstrate your expertise and competence by being clued up about what’s going on in your business and the wider business sector.
4. Chance to show openness: Something that all new business contacts and customer alike value is openness. You need to avoid giving the impression that all you care about is your business, and instead show that you care about how your company helps others.
5. Great chance to show your worth: A first impression is the ideal time to demonstrate your worth. You want to show that what you have to offer is worthwhile.
6. First impressions can’t be undone: Within 15-seconds of meeting someone for the first time, a first impression is formed. Often this first impression cannot be undone.
7. Your business’s reputation is linked to impressions: Say you fail to take care of the building, not paying commercial window cleaners to keep the windows clean, you set a bad precedent. Keeping your windows clean regularly, might seem like a small thing but actually, it’s huge – presentation is everything so pay those window cleaners.
8. It can make or break you: In business, a first impression can make or break your brand. That’s why making the right first impression is so crucial.
9. How you act impacts your rep: As a business owner, you need to have a reputation as being friendly and approachable, which is why first impressions are so vital.
10. Clients create ideas about your business: If a client is greeted by a receptionist who is wearing a stained shirt, chewing gum and looks bored, this does not create a good first impression. It’s all about the way your business is presented.
11. It can take six months to change a first impression: Studies have shown it can take up to six months or regular contact with a person to change a first impression. That’s too long for you as a business owner to wait, so it’s important to get it right the first time.
12. You want to succeed: If you want to succeed, you need to create a positive impression of everyone that you meet, from customers to contacts. So it pays to do everything that you can to create a good first impression.
13. You need to remain professional: In business, you can’t ask someone why they don’t like you, because it’s unprofessional. This is another reason why it’s crucial that you ensure you make a good impression the first time around.
14. It can change your attitude: If you make a good impression and do well as a result of that, it can completely change your attitude to your business, and the approach that you take, giving you a far better chance of success.
15. It’s important: The fact is that a first impression is so crucial for business success, especially when meeting new business contacts or potential clients. It’s not something that you want to mess up, so it’s crucial that you take your behaviour and the look and feel of your business and premises into account.
The truth is that first impressions are crucial for businesses in every industry, which is why it’s vital that you learn how to get them right. It’s not easy to undo a bad first impression, so it’s far more beneficial to get it right the first time around. Knowing how to do that isn’t always easy but if you take the time to think carefully about how you present yourself, your team and your business, you can increase your chances of success.